https://www.honeymoonregistry.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Logo.svg 0 0 Andrew Hughes https://www.honeymoonregistry.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Logo.svg Andrew Hughes2019-10-15 21:32:292019-10-15 21:32:31Honeymoon Destination of the week: Port Douglas, Australia.
- HOW: A 5 ½ hour direct flight from Auckland to Cairns. We suggest a few days in Cairns first, then it’s a scenic 1 hour drive north up the coast to Port Douglas. Be sure to take in the sights and grab an ice-cream at the beautiful Palm Cove along the way.
- WHAT: Highlights include snorkelling the Great Barrier reef (a must!), sampling the delicious local seafood, walking the Mossman George and bathing in its waterfalls, checking out the local wildlife and cane toad racing at the local Iron Bar Saloon in town.
- WHEN: The best months are between April and October. November through to March is the stinger season (jellyfish) so extra precautions need to be made when swimming. A lot of shops and restaurants close during the off-season which is between December and January.
- WHERE: There are many top resorts in Port Douglas but it’s hard to go past the iconic Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort which is located right on Four Mile beach. It also has its own 18 hole golf course and is situated on 2ha of saltwater lagoon pools. Truly breath-taking!
- WHY: Port Douglas has it all – warm weather, the Great Barrier reef at its door step, exciting wildlife opportunities and also comes with the added bonus of spending some additional time in Cairns. There’s plenty to do around Cairns, including a boat trip to Green Island, the Kuranda scenic railway and sky rail and Rusty’s Market for fresh fruit and vegetables.